Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Fullers ESB

Last night I went the the 'other' Irish pub in Tulsa. They have a decent enough beer selection with 15 brews on tap. There was nothing I hadn't tried before, so I had the pleasure of drinking one I already know and love; Fullers ESB.

The Fuller's ESB (Extra Special Bitter) is an English ale with a robust malt and hop character. It pours a deep amber bronze and features a medium to full body. The taste has soothing and mellow toffee flavor with traces of fruitiness. Ironically, the ESB isn't particularly bitter, as the name would have you believe. The sweetness of the malt is balanced with the bitterness of the hop, creating a well balanced beer that has consistently won this brew numerous awards including "World Champion Bitter" and "Best Strong Ale" from the US Beverage Tasting Institute and the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), respectively.

Fullers is brewed at Griffin Brewery in Chiswick, a district in West London. Griffin brewery is England's oldest independent brewery and is known for creating an excellent range of exceptional products, including the Fuller's London Pride, their flagship beer, Fuller's London Porter, Fuller's Vintage Ale, and Fuller's 1845, all (usually) available at McNellies.

2 comments:

PremiumBitter said...

Whenever someone asks me if we carry Fat Tire, I give them a sample of this (after explaining that it is, in fact, impossible to get Fat Tire legally in Oklahoma). Fat Tire is similar to a bitter, so it usually works out.

I'd love to try this on cask/hand-pump sometime.

Anonymous said...

I was in London last year, actually near Chiswick. We drove by the Fuller's brewery. At the grocery store next to our hotel I bought pint bottles of ESB and London Pride for 1.50 pound each.