Sunday, December 2, 2007

Green's Tripel Quest

A slew of new and interesting beers have recently arrived at McNellies, and one that caught my attention was the new line by Green's from Belgium. There are three varieties of the brand: Tripel Quest, Endeavor Dubbel, and Discovery Amber. Green's boasts all natural, gluten free, organic products. They are marketed towards those with gluten (wheat) intolerance, and suitable for vegetarians and vegans. I don't fall into any of these categories, but the idea of an organic beer was appealing nonetheless. I contemplated which style I would drink, and since they were all the same price I decided on the one with the most alcohol, which was the Tripel Quest, at 8.5%. My mama didn't raise no fool.

I found the description on the label to be intriguing. A tag was attached to the top of the bottle that read, "No barley. No Wheat. All Natural." Green's makes their product with millet, rice, buckwheat, and sorghum. The backside of the label states that Green's beers DO NOT contain: crustaceans, eggs, fish, peanuts, soya beans, milk, lactose, nuts, celery, mustard, sesame seeds, sulphur dioxide and sulfites. I read this and thought it to be rather puzzling. No crustaceans? Really? I could have sworn that all beers were made with crustaceans. Foolish, foolish me. I'm not sure why they felt the need to overly state what the beer did not contain, and deduced the list was for the allergy prone drinker with paranoia.

The Green's Tripel Quest had a taste unlike any beer I could compare it to. It reminded me of a highly carbonated port wine more so than beer. The taste was very clean, effervescent, sour and tangy, with a sweet aftertaste. I thought it to be very tasty and full of flavor, with a long solid finish. I don't know how I would feel about drinking it on a regular basis, but I suppose if I fell into the category of the target market and my options were limited, I would consider it satisfactory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. I'll have to try it the next time I'm at McNellie's. I think I'm going to be there tonight, in fact.