Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fuller's Vintage Ale

The year was 1997 when Fuller's brewery of England released the first edition of their Vintage Ale. Every subsequent year in November, Fuller's has released a new edition of the award-winning brew. There are many characteristics about this beer which make it so exceptionally outstanding.

The packaging is the first thing that catches your eye. The single bottle comes in a ornate deep crimson colored box, giving the indication of a high class product. Open the box and you'll pull out a 16.9 ounce brown bottle of the Fullers Vintage Ale, with a issue number marked on the front of the label. Included in the box is a small card with a guide to the previous Vintage Ales that form the classic range. Essentially, the beer is the same each year with slight variations.

Only one batch of the beer is made each year, and it's much sought after by beer aficionados. My bottle was numbered 86,998 out of 100,000, so although it is a limited edition, it's not that hard to get your hands on a bottle. The price tag may be off-putting to some; it goes for $14 a bottle at McNellies. If you're willing to splurge a little, it's well worth it.

The Fuller's Vintage Ale is one of the most complex and flavorful beers I've had the pleasure of drinking. It's a beautiful deep velvet color, and features a full-bodied, smooth and creamy texture. Slightly sweet with hints of fruitiness and citrus fused with caramel and spicy notes are some of the taste words that came to mind as I drank the bottle. The alcohol content is rather high at 8.5%, which creates a nice warming effect. A pleasant lingering aftertaste followed each swill of the liquid.

The Vintage Ale is bottle conditioned, reaching it's peak condition in three to four years. The only way I'll be able to properly enjoy this ale is if I happen to come across an edition from 2004. I know myself well enough to know that I can't hold onto a beer of this caliber for four years without giving into the temptation of cracking it open. I'm weak, what can I say?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice beer indeed. I try to hold on to a couple every year. The '06 is much better than the '05 right now in my opinion.

Doesn't look like we are getting '07. Bummer.

Kyle said...

buy at least 10 every year and set them back. nothing is quit as educational and delightful as vertical tasting of Fullers Vintage Ale. But if you taste the current year and work your way back in time... Amazing things will happen. DO IT

Ward said...

Fuller's Vintage Ale! Bloody Hell! You are quite possibly the perfect woman. If I wasn't so in love with my wife, I'd ask you to run away with me.

Anonymous said...

My husband has a bottle (lost in the back of a cupboard) of the 1997 Fuller's Vintage Ale - number 58998.
Does anybody want it more than he does?

Anonymous said...

If anyone wanted the bottle of Vintage Ale mentioned above, sorry. Our son opened it and threw it away, saying that it was too old to drink.