Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cerveza de Guatemala

Right now my boyfriend is in Guatemala. Although coffee is their primary export (and the purpose of his visit), even good ol' Guatemala produces and exports cerveza. So I thought I'd drink a Guatemalan beer in his honor; the only one we carry at McNellies: Bahia.

Bahia is a premium imported lager brewed by Cerveceria Centro Americana, and available in select markets across the United States. It's packaged in a clear bottle with a Marlin pictured on the label. It's comparable to Corona, or "Crapona," as I've heard it called. Honestly, I didn't expect it to be great, so I can't say I was disappointed. The taste wasn't unpleasant or offensive, but there wasn't much substance to it. It has a slightly sour flavor and a bit of skunkiness. Due to the warm climate of Central American countries, brewers don't grow barley or hops, and instead have them imported. They typically make light, basic lagers intended simply as thirst-quenchers. So, for what it is, it wasn't too bad. If I ever find myself roaming the streets of Guatemala, parched with thirst, I would gladly welcome the sight of a bottle of Bahia.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

frosty mug

lime

salt

sometimes you don't want to taste your beer!

Anonymous said...

oh well you should check out famosa in the US...
its the same as Gallo beer here in Guatemala, and I can tell you that Gallo would leave a better impression on you! guaranteed! also brewed by cerveceria centroamericana! check it out, you might be surprised! :P