Thursday, March 13, 2008

4 years and counting

Tuesday night McNellies turned 4 years old, and we celebrated in style with the first Beer University. There was a great turnout, probably 50 or so people eager to learn about beer. We sampled a total of 28 different porters and stouts in a time span of two hours. At the beginning of class, everyone was very attentive, but after about the 10th beer, the room was buzzing (literally). Here's a list of the beers we sampled, in order:

  • Samuel Smith Taddy Porter
  • St. Peter's Old Style Porter
  • Anchor Porter
  • Boulevard Porter
  • Left Hand Black Jack Porter
  • Sierra Nevada Porter
  • Samuel Adams Honey Porter
  • Rogue Mocha Porter
  • Fuller's London Porter
  • Guinness Extra Stout
  • Murphy's Stout
  • O'Hara's Irish Stout
  • Old No. 38 Stout
  • Boulevard Stout
  • Bridgeport Black Strap Stout
  • Rogue Shakespeare Stout
  • Samuel Smith Imperial Stout
  • Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
  • Rogue XS Imperial Stout
  • Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout
  • Great Divide Yeti Oak Aged Imperial Stout
  • Samuel Adams Cream Stout
  • St. Peter's Cream Stout
  • Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
  • Rogue Chocolate Stout
  • Mackeson XXX Stout
  • Left Hand Milk Stout
  • Guinness Draught Stout
Here's a comparison of my first beer notes versus my last beer notes:

























My scanner didn't do the best job of making these visible; but you get the idea. After 28 beers, I have to give myself a pat on the back for even being able to pick up my pen and write anything, regardless how hard it may be to decipher. I believe a good time was had by all, and I look forward to the next "educational meeting."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I forgot about it otherwise I would have been there! Lovely notes you have made about the Guinness!