Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Beer University

On Tuesday, March 11 at 7pm, McNellies will host our first ever Beer University class. This is a new bi-monthly event, presented by Elliot Nelson, McNellies owner and beer maestro. The class will span a few hours covering the intricacies of Stouts and Porters, a subject inspired by the St. Patrick's Day season.

During the course, we will sample somewhere between 20 to 30 beers. You'll get to extend your enjoyment beyond the sensory pleasures of drinking beer to learning about the different beer styles, brewing techniques, history of breweries, packaging and labeling, and many other tidbits of information that you probably never thought about. If your memory is anything like mine when alcohol is involved, I'd recommend taking notes if you want to remember anything the next day.

When I was hired at McNellies, I was "required" to go through a beer class. Standard protocol. It was then that I realized that my job was pretty damn cool. If only all my college requirements could have been so fun. But nooooo, instead I was required to take courses such as statistics and micro-economics, something I've used again....uh, never. Learning about beer and drinking beer seems far more entertaining than trying to calculate the standard deviation from the square root of the variance.

So, join us one week from today to learn about something fun that you may actually deem useful. Impress your friends and make some new ones. Practice drinking good beer for St. Patrick's Day. Seating is limited, so be sure and reserve your spot as soon as possible.

Cost of a college education: $35,000
Cost of Beer University: $30
A night at the pub getting hammered and calling it educational: priceless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how does one sign up?

i bet it is too late :(

Christie said...

Not too late. Call the pub (382-PINT) and let them know you want to sign up, or you can email me your name, phone number, and email, and I'll get you signed up.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed it! Since my new job has me working out of my house... in Jenks instead of downtown, my pub frequency has dropped considerably...as have my visit to the blog. I'll be sure to make the next one!