Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Asahi Super Dry

There's a scene in the movie Sideways in which the main character, Miles, a huge wine connoisseur, is teaching his friend Jack how to taste wine. He describes the delicate steps of the process: swirling the wine in the glass, smelling the wine, describing the aromas, and tasting the wine as Jack follows his lead. After they take a sip, Miles looks at Jack with disgust and says "Are you chewing gum?"

This scene came to mind the other night as I was chomping on a potent piece of Dentyne Ice Arctic Chill and took a sip of Asahi Super Dry. Not a good combination. Although this beer (or any beer, I would imagine) doesn't go well with gum, it does go well with food. Beer is not typically my preferred beverage when I'm having a meal, but every time I eat sushi, I have to order an Asahi Super Dry. It's a great thirst quencher that really compliments the spicy rolls and wasabi, without interfering with the taste of the food.

Asahi Super Dry is a Japanese rice lager. The yeast is the vital ingredient in the brewing process of this beer. Without sounding too technical or boring, basically the yeast separates the sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide, which results in a dry beer. It doesn't have much of an aroma or lingering aftertaste, and it's not very filling, which is why it pairs well with food. It has a very light, clean, fresh taste with slight carbonation and a dry finish.

This beer is available in a 22oz. bottle, which gave me ample time to rid my pallet of the minty gum flavor and enjoy the beer. In the future, I'll be sure to avoid any disgusted looks and spit out my gum before I drink a beer.

3 comments:

Van Mac said...

You are so funny!!! Let's travel the US and become connoisseurs of fine beers! You can be Miles and I'll be Jack!
http://www.beerconnoisseur.com/2007/

Anonymous said...

When it come to pairing beer with food, its always good to match the intensities of each. You do want the food to overpower the beer, and vice versa.

Anonymous said...

they need to brew a beer that leaves your breath smelling minty clean