Monday, October 29, 2007

Will Run For Beer

This past weekend over 8000 people, myself included, participated in the Tulsa Run. What surprised me the first time I did this race three years ago was that beer was served at the finish line. This struck me as odd because for one, I was only expecting water or gatorade, two, it was so early in the morning, and three, athletes and alcohol aren't something I would have paired together. But I guess it does make sense when you think about it. Beer replenishes the body with carbohydrates, as well as numbs the body of pain. As I began participating in more athletic events, I noticed that beer at the finish line was somewhat standard. It's nice to know that there's a nice cold beer waiting for me at the end of a race. It gives me something to look forward to.

What I'm really looking forward to is the next race I'll be doing, the McNellies Pub Run. The best thing about this race is you don't have to wait until finish line to drink beer; you drink it while you run. For this event, runners guzzle down three pints during the race; one at each water stop and one before crossing the finish line. And it's no sissy Michelob Ultra either; it's three pints of Guinness. This four mile run begins in front of McNellies and loops through the Brady and Blue Dome Districts. The race ends at the pub, where, you guessed it, more beer will be served. This run is THE most fun race I've ever done. I would encourage anyone to participate, regardless of running abilities. The event is two weeks away, Saturday November 10th. Starting time is 3pm, perfect for us night owls who generally spend our Friday nights, well, drinking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I already signed up for this years and can't. I ran it last year and it was great. I never realized how many damn hills were in downtown though. Are they doing "tech" shirts for the first 100 people to sign up again?
Tim

Christie said...

I know what you mean about the hills; I remember the people on bikes cheering runners on were even complaining! They're not doing the tech shirts this year, just the long sleeve ones. Bummer, I know. Those shirts were cool.