Friday, October 5, 2007

Don't Be That Guy

"Why would someone come to McNellies and order Coors?", asked a bar patron as I was restocking the cans in front of him. He continued, "I took a girl on a date here once and she ordered a Bud Light. Needless to say, it didn't work out."

Often I hear people claim to actually like Bud Light and the such, but I think they should stop kidding themselves. They just don't know any better. (Okay maybe there's the rare exception, but seriously, it's not a good beer.) To the domestic beer drinkers defense, everyone's got to start somewhere. I remember back in the day when I would stock Rolling Rock in my fridge and believe I was oh so highbrow. Nothing but the best for me. My first experience of going to a bar that didn't serve the domestics I was used to occurred years ago when I was visiting Sacramento. I was hesitant about ordering a beer I was unfamiliar with, but it was too early in the evening to start on the hard liquor, so I ordered a local brew. I remember taking my first sip and thinking, "This beer actually has flavor. I can taste something. Wow, I could get used to this."

If you're 'a fan' of Bud Light, let me offer a few suggestions. First of all, McNellies isn't the place to order a domestic beer. They are served in condescending tall boy cans, which causes people to point and laugh, or break up with you. Some of the draught beers you might enjoy instead: Kronenbourg 1664, Spaten Premium, Pilsner Urquell, or Trumer Pils. These are all pale lagers with a bit more substance, flavor and alcohol than the domestics you're used to. I would also suggest trying our specials, which change each month giving you the opportunity to try a variety of good beers at a low cost.

If you want a bucket of Milwaukee's Best or a pitcher of Busch Light, Dirty's Tavern is down the street. If you want to enjoy a really good beer, get yourself into McNellies!

7 comments:

Van Mac said...

Men who order Coors at McNellies can't have girlfriends, there's just no way.

Unknown said...

rolling rock!...heehee...i was like that too.

Anonymous said...

Next time I would order a Kronenbourg 1664, Spaten Premium, Pilsner Urquell, or Trumer Pils if only I figure out how to pronounce them without making too much of a fool of myself

Carley said...

I actually had a guy ask me for a pitcher of beer a couple of weeks ago. I shot him a look and then proceeded to find him a "good" beer (aka international) that he enjoyed. Oh, and just last weekend I had a whole family order buds. C'mon people!!!

Anonymous said...

POPS, your friendly staff at Mcnellie's would never lead you astray. Just let them pick some beers for you.

Anonymous said...

Pops, no one would think foolish of you for mispronouncing a beers name at McNellie's. I would venture to say that any bartender or regular would be more than willing to help you expand your beer horizons.

Anonymous said...

This is very good advice. My girlfriend is the type that would only drink domestics and maybe a corona here and there but i got her trying Trumer and Urquell and it has opened her eyes to a lot of new beers and has her trying new things...is she drinking a guinness with me at the bar? No not yet but we are working on that.