Friday, October 19, 2007

Duchesse De Bourgogne

I drank a beer the other night which was completely unfamiliar to me: Duchesse De Bourgogne. I've never heard any customer input about this beer as it's rarely ordered, and I didn't know what style of beer it was, so I had no idea what to expect. All I knew was it's from Belgium, and I like a lot of Belgium beers. When I asked for the beer, the bartender got a look on his face that said, "Are you sure you want to do that?" Or the look could have said, "Could you possibly have botched the pronunciation of that any worse?" Yes and perhaps.

The beer is served in a bottle that looks more like wine or champagne than beer. It's a 25.4 ounce dark green corked bottle with a label that tells a story. A sovereign lady is pictured with a falcon perched upon her hand. This lady is Mary of Burgundy, who became the Duchess of Burgundy. She ruled the people of Flanders in the 15th century, until a tragic accident at the age of 25 when she fell off her horse while hunting a falcon and died. Who would have thought a beer label would contain so much history?

Now that you know a bit about the bottle, time to move on to the beer. The Duchesse De Bourgogne is a Flemish red ale brewed by Verhaeghe Brewery in Vichte, West Flanders. Once the beer is brewed, it is aged at least a year in oak liquor casks which helps form the distinctive flavor of the beer. The final product is actually a blend of different vintages of the same ale.

The beer has a deep burgundy appearance with a curious aroma of wooden oak and plum, which is accentuated by the goblet glass. The taste is very unique, perhaps more of a wine drinkers beer. It has a very rich flavor with a sugary aftertaste. My first sip reminded me of a mix between grape and apple juice. It has a sour taste with a balance of sweetness. The alcohol content is 6%, which is lower than I would have expected for a Belgium ale. It's unlike any beer I've tried in the past. It's not a beer that I could drink every day, but it's nice if I'm looking for something out of the ordinary.

The Duchesse is a very distinct and interesting beer in all respects. It's not a beer that everyone will love, but it's worth trying at least once. As for the pronunciation, you're on your own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I first tried this beer a little over a year ago. I too saw it at work and being a budding beer explorer I tried one. I too enjoyed the Belguim brews but was not ready for this one. I, sadly, ended up pouring this down the drain. I didn't understand the style and thought it tasted like fermented childrens cough syrup. I have always regreted my actions and vowed to return to another glass one day. And I did, at the Jarboe Trade Show. They were introducing a smaller version (somewhere between 8-12oz.) so I decided to give it another go. I did appreciate the delicate balance between sweet and sour. But to consume and entire 750ml is too much for me right now. If you are thinking about trying this go to your local liquor store (Ranch Acres) and seeing if they can order you the smaller version or just share one bottle at McNellie's with some open minded friends.

Tim